Grilled salmon arugula salad with strawberry salsa, avocado, and strawberry balsamic vinaigrette – a healthful and vibrant meal.
Frididilydodahdaaaaaay! What are you up to this weekend? I’m heading to the Sonora, CA in the Sierra Nevada foothills, where I will be visiting friends, recreating in the foothills, and re-stocking my wine supply through the weekend. Follow my comings and goings on Snapchat (you can find me at TheRoastedRoot) and Instagram. For your weekend feasting, I have a funky fresh meal to tickle your taste buds.
There’s so much going on in this bowl, I can barely contain my elation. We’ve got grilled salmon with fresh salsa on top of a peppery arugula salad all dressed in strawberry balsamic vinaigrette. I’m beginning to think homemade salsa PLUS vinaigrette is the key to all the foods ever. Let’s discuss recipe componentry!
Grilled Salmon, you guys…this is succulent. Super crispy on the outside, super tender on the inside…it’s a dreamscape. Plus, grilling salmon is so easy to prepare, you’re going to go nuts. All I do is a little dry rub action, but you can also keep ‘er simple with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. You can even use a marinade, choose your flavor. I like to grill my salmon skin-side down to start in order to get a super crispy salmon skin (yup, I eat the skin), but you can also grill skin-side down. From start-to-finish, grilling a salmon fillet only takes about 8 minutes. That’s a pretty bangarang prep time for all those evenings you’re fungry and need food in a flash! And while grilled meat is awesome, it’s made even awesomer with an awesome topping, amIright? Which brings me to my next point…
Strawberry salsa, you guys…this is MEGA. It’s silly simple – just toss chopped strawberries, jalapeno, red onion, and garlic together in some lime juice with a sprinkle of salt, and you’re in for a sweet n’ spicy treat. And why stop at salsa, when you can take it one step further with a deluxe vinaigrette?
Strawberry balsamic vinaigrette, you guys…this is SAVAGE! Alls it is is a regular ol’ homemade balsamic vinaigrette with a few ripe strawberries added to it. You’re never going to believe the flavor on this drizzle. Pour the ingredients into your blender, give ‘er a whirl, and BOOM healthier-and-tastier-than store-bought dressing!
Arugula salads have been my JAM lately. I’ll go full-tilt arugula with other veggies, fruit, cheese, and nuts, or I’ll combine the arugula with spinach and/or kale. Always with a simple homemade dressing. However you slice it, the flavor of arugula is so fresh and crisp.
This particular peppery arugula salad is super uncomplicated. Greens, avocado, strawbs, red onion, and avocado tossed together with the strawberry balsamic vinaigrette and enjoyed with with bites of crispy grilled salmon + strawberry salsa, this well-rounded meal will melt in your head hole. I’ve made this meal multiple times over the last couple of weeks, sometimes adding pistachios and/or feta. Add/substitute/make changes as desired!
To summarize: Grilled salmon = life. Salsa + vinaigrette totally works. Arugula = bangarang. Fleece is not just a fabric, but a state of being, and Joan Jett is a badass (<- irrelevant, but still 200% true).
Have a great weekend!
For the Grilled Salmon
- 1 pound salmon fillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 large ripe strawberries, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove small garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Pinch sea salt
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- ½ ripe avocado, diced
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 ripe strawberries, chopped
Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 ripe strawberries, chopped
- 1-½ tablespoons honey
- 1-½ tablespoons dijon mustard
Prepare the Strawberry Vinaigrette:
- Add all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a jar or sealable container and refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the Strawberry Salsa:
- Stir together the ingredients for the salsa in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the Arugula Salad:
- Add the ingrediens for the salad to a large serving bowl and toss in desired amount of strawberry vinaigrette. Refrigerate until the salmon is ready.
Prepare the Grilled Salmon:
- Place the salmon on a plate or in a casserole dish and drizzle with olive oil. Use your hands to spread the oil over the flesh so that the whole surface is coated. Stir together all of the spices (or use your favorite spice blend) and sprinkle them over the fish.
- Scrape any food particles off of your grill and spray (or brush) it with oil - this ensures the fish will not stick to the grill. Preheat the grill to medium-high (about 400 to 450 degrees F), keeping the grill covered.
- Place the salmon fillet on the grill skin-side down and cover the grill, leaving the fish untouched for 5 to 6 minutes. Carefully flip and cook on the other side about 2 minutes, or until grill marks appear. Note: Salmon fillets that are one inch thick or less will take about 8 minutes total on the grill. Thicker fillets will require 10 to 12 minutes. You can cook the salmon for less time if you want the center of the fish to be rare).
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut smaller fillets to serve.
- Serve arugula salad with salmon and top with strawberry salsa.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g