Grilled salmon arugula salad with strawberry salsa, avocado, and strawberry balsamic vinaigrette – a healthful and vibrant meal.
There’s so much going on in this bowl, I can barely contain my elation. We’ve got grilled salmon with fresh salsa on top of a peppery arugula salad all dressed in strawberry balsamic vinaigrette.
I’m beginning to think homemade salsa PLUS vinaigrette is the key to all the foods ever.
Let’s discuss recipe componentry.
How to Make Grilled Salmon with Strawberry Salsa:
Grilled Salmon, you guys…this is succulent. Super crispy on the outside, super tender on the inside…it’s a dreamscape. Plus, grilling salmon is so easy to prepare, you’re going to go nuts.
All I do is a little dry rub action, but you can also keep ‘er simple with a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
You can even use a marinade, choose your flavor.
I like to grill my salmon skin-side down to start in order to get a super crispy salmon skin (yup, I eat the skin), but you can also grill skin-side down.
From start-to-finish, grilling a salmon fillet only takes about 8 minutes. That’s a pretty bangarang prep time for all those evenings you’re hangry and need food in a flash!
And while grilled meat is awesome, it’s made even better with an awesome topping, am I right? Which brings me to my next point…
Strawberry salsa, you guys…this is MEGA.
It’s silly simple – just toss chopped strawberries, jalapeno, red onion, and garlic together in some lime juice with a sprinkle of salt, and you’re in for a sweet n’ spicy treat.
And why stop at salsa, when you can take it one step further with a deluxe vinaigrette?
Strawberry balsamic vinaigrette, you guys…this is SAVAGE! All it is is a regular ol’ homemade balsamic vinaigrette with a few ripe strawberries added to it.
You’re never going to believe the flavor on this drizzle. Pour the ingredients into your blender, give ‘er a whirl, and BOOM healthier-and-tastier-than store-bought dressing!
Now for the arugula salad.
Arugula salads have been my JAM lately.
I’ll go full-tilt arugula with other veggies, fruit, cheese, and nuts, or I’ll combine the arugula with spinach and/or kale. Always with a simple homemade dressing. However you slice it, the flavor of arugula is so fresh and crisp.
This particular peppery arugula salad is super uncomplicated.
Greens, avocado, strawberries, red onion, and avocado tossed together with the strawberry balsamic vinaigrette and enjoyed with with bites of crispy grilled salmon + strawberry salsa, this well-rounded meal will melt in your head hole.
I’ve made this meal multiple times over the last couple of weeks, sometimes adding pistachios and/or feta.
Add/substitute/make changes as desired!
To summarize: Grilled salmon = life. Salsa + vinaigrette totally works. Arugula = bangarang.
Fleece is not just a fabric, but a state of being, and Joan Jett is a badass (<- irrelevant, but still 200% true).
Have a great weekend!
Grilled Salmon with Strawberry Salsa
Grilled Salmon with Strawberry Salsa is the only salmon salad recipe you'll need all summer long!
For the Grilled Salmon
- 1 pound salmon fillet
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 6 large ripe strawberries, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove small garlic, minced
- 1 lime, juiced
- Pinch sea salt
- 5 ounces baby arugula
- ½ ripe avocado, diced
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 4 ripe strawberries, chopped
Strawberry Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 3 ripe strawberries, chopped
- 1-½ tablespoons honey
- 1-½ tablespoons dijon mustard
Prepare the Strawberry Vinaigrette:
- Add all of the ingredients for the vinaigrette to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer to a jar or sealable container and refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the Strawberry Salsa:
- Stir together the ingredients for the salsa in a bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the Arugula Salad:
- Add the ingrediens for the salad to a large serving bowl and toss in desired amount of strawberry vinaigrette. Refrigerate until the salmon is ready.
Prepare the Grilled Salmon:
- Place the salmon on a plate or in a casserole dish and drizzle with olive oil. Use your hands to spread the oil over the flesh so that the whole surface is coated. Stir together all of the spices (or use your favorite spice blend) and sprinkle them over the fish.
- Scrape any food particles off of your grill and spray (or brush) it with oil - this ensures the fish will not stick to the grill. Preheat the grill to medium-high (about 400 to 450 degrees F), keeping the grill covered.
- Place the salmon fillet on the grill skin-side down and cover the grill, leaving the fish untouched for 5 to 6 minutes. Carefully flip and cook on the other side about 2 minutes, or until grill marks appear. Note: Salmon fillets that are one inch thick or less will take about 8 minutes total on the grill. Thicker fillets will require 10 to 12 minutes. You can cook the salmon for less time if you want the center of the fish to be rare).
- Transfer to a cutting board and cut smaller fillets to serve.
- Serve arugula salad with salmon and top with strawberry salsa.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g
Monday 23rd of May 2022
Too much lime juice. Beautiful and tasty but tart!!!. Next time I will cut down the lime.
Wednesday 25th of May 2022
Hi Kitty! Thanks for the feedback! I like a lot of lime in my salsas, but I can see how some folks would prefer less subtle flavor. I appreciate the note! xo
Thursday 1st of August 2019
well it seems really delicious and super tasty.i must try it as soon as possible. thank you for this healthy diet.
Wednesday 9th of May 2018
Though I live in the San Juan Islands of Washington state Sonora, CA is my hometown! I hope you have a lot of fun there. I have very fond memories growing up there and still have family & friends in area. I actually moved up here to be closer to the Salmon! Can't wait to try this! Looks YUMMY! Cheers!
Saturday 12th of May 2018
Hi Sheri! Too funny...what a small world! It's so nice to connect with you and I appreciate you sending the note! I really enjoyed living in Sonora and working in Murphys (at Lavender Ridge Vineyard) - it truly is a beautiful area! Thanks dropping in! xoxo
Wednesday 9th of May 2018
Super YUMMY! One of the most hearty and delicious plate ? Next time, maybe you want to try with raw salmon, it is amazing!
Monday 1st of May 2017
This looks incredible, Julia! I love fruity salsas with fish - almost always do a mango based salsa when I make halibut - so I love to have one to try with salmon. Fist pump on the crispy fish skin too!