Remember on Monday how I was bellyaching about the heat wave and how intensely I wanted to swivel my way up a fruity cocktail, fall in, and just….live there?
I high tailed it. Hopped in the car, leaving molten lavaville for the mountains, where temperatures are 20 degrees cooler. For those of you who are still melting saunas of cranky sweat, my warmest (errrr….coolest?) wishes to you…I’ll be joining you again soon enough. Here, have some sangria!
The 4th of July happens to be my favorite holiday on account of my profound love for fireworks. Plus the love of barbecuing. And picnics. And floating down the river with boozy beverages in hand. Our nation’s day of independence brings me a lot of joy.
And here’s where your Greek quinoa salad comes in! It’s great for your 4th of July gathering. It’s not all mayo-ed out like potato or pasta salad. It’s light, refreshing, easy to make, and the whole thing can be prepped in 40ish minutes. Plus it serves as a side dish for 6 and can easily be doubled to feed an army.
Do you remember when I posted the Mediterranean Quinoa Salad and you went all haywire over it – asked it to go steady, moved in with it, and then promptly proposed marriage? This one’s like that.
Have a safe and happy holiday!
For the Greek Quinoa Salad
- ¾ cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cups cucumber, peeled, quartered lengthwise and chopped (about 2 worth)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¾ cup pitted kalamata olives, sliced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Salt to taste
For the Dressing:
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice, 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
To Prepare the Dressing:
- Whisk all dressing ingredients together in a bowl or cup and set aside.
To Prepare the Quinoa Salad:
- Cook the quinoa by following instructions on the back of the package (be sure to rinse and soak the quinoa first for light and fluffy results!)
- While the quinoa is cooking, prepare the rest of the salad ingredients by doing all your chopping and adding everything except for the feta cheese to a large bowl.
- Once the quinoa is cooked and has cooled, add it to the bowl with the other salad ingredients and fold together gently.
- Pour the dressing over everything and again gently fold the ingredients together.
- Add the feta cheese on top and serve either hot or cold!
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g