Gluten-Free Dairy-Free Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole with luscious creamy sauce and veggies makes for a belly-filling inviting meal!
If you love chicken noodle soup or casseroles, you, my friend, are in the right place!
This straight-forward comforting Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole combines the familiar deliciousness of chicken soup in casserole form.
We’ve got lean protein, we’re going big on carbs, we’re adding vegetables for flavor, texture, and vitamins.
This is the exact type of meal I eat three times a day, every day in the sense that I’m always looking for protein, complex carbohydrates and fiber in each and every meal.
I make this creamy chicken noodle casserole dairy-free and gluten-free, but don’t worry…I’ve included instructions for adding dairy and you can always use regular noodles!
A note about dairy: While I do eat cheese occasionally, I don’t eat it all the time and I’m fairly selective about when I consume it. Because this casserole is so flavorful and creamy on its own, I didn’t think it was necessary to add cheese.
If, however, you don’t mind adding the dairy or believe a casserole is not a casserole without cheese, feel free to add it! Simply sprinkle on 1 to 2 cups of your favorites cheese before putting the casserole in the oven.
I also use full-fat canned coconut milk to make the sauce creamy (more on that below) rather than using dairy. Again, if you’re fine with dairy, feel free to make the swap!
For those of you who are dairy-free but don’t love the taste of coconut milk, I promise you can’t taste it. There are so many other flavors going on that the coconut milk is undetectable. Plus, we don’t use all that much!
Ingredients for Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole:
Gluten-Free Spiral Noodles: Choose your favorite noodle here! I go with gluten-free spiral noodles, but basically anything will work!
Chicken Breasts: Boneless skinless chicken breasts get chopped up and added to a rice, creamy, vegetable-loaded sauce to make this casserole extra filling and tasty!
Vegetables: Onion, garlic, carrot, celery, mushrooms, peas. This combination gives that iconic creamy chicken soup feel. You can add or omit any vegetables you like!
Liquids: Chicken broth and full-fat canned coconut milk make up the sauce in this recipe, which gets absorbed into the noodles as the casserole bakes. The combination of chicken broth and coconut milk gives a creamy sauce that when absorbed into the noodles tastes just like creamy chicken noodle soup.
You can’t taste the coconut milk, I promise! It is there just to add some creaminess and some fat. If you aren’t dairy-free, feel free to use half & half or heavy cream instead of the coconut milk.
Seasonings: Italian seasoning, sea salt, rice vinegar. These simple seasonings level up the flavor of the casserole to make it a well-rounded flavorful experience.
Optional: Grated cheese! I make this casserole without cheese, but you can stir in 2 cups of your favorite cheese. Grated mozzarella, cheddar, gruyere or gouda are great options!
How to Make Creamy Chicken Noodle Casserole:
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the package. I typically cook noodles 2 minutes less than recommended so that they turn out al dente.
Add the avocado oil to a large skillet and add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 to 8 minutes.
Add the chopped chicken breasts and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the chicken has browned.
Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Bring to a full boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick, about 8 to 10 minutes.
Transfer the cooked noodles to a large (13” x 9”) casserole dish, along with the sauce.
Note: if you’re adding cheese, you can either stir it in with everything or sprinkle it on top. Stir everything together and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until much of the sauce has been absorbed by the noodles.
Serve and enjoy!
- Omit the mushrooms or peas if you don’t like them.
- Add in any of your favorite veggies. Broccoli or cauliflower work great.
- Use any shape or type of noodle. The gluten-free noodles I use are made with brown rice (sometimes I go with cassava flour), but pick whichever ones you love!
- Swap the coconut milk for half & half or heavy cream if you do dairy.
- Add 1 to 2 cups of grated cheese. Cheddar, mozzarella, gouda, or grueyere are my top recommendations! You can either sprinkle the cheese on top or mix it into the casserole or go for both!
- Add 1 cup of corn kernels if you’d like!
More Delicious Healthy Casserole Recipes:
- Tuna Noodle Casserole
- Broccoli Cheddar Chicken Casserole
- Wild Rice Chicken Casserole
- Mushroom Bolognese Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Creamy Brussel Sprout Casserole
Chicken noodle soup casserole for life!
- 12 oz gluten-free noodles
- 1 tbsp avocado oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 3/4 cups chicken broth (I use low-sodium)
- 1 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 2 tbsp gluten free flour or tapioca flour
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar or lemon juice
- ¾ tsp sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, chopped
- Optional: 2 cups grated mozzarella or cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Cook the noodles according to the instructions on the package. Drain into a colander and set aside.
- Add the avocado oil to a large skillet and add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Add the chopped chicken breasts and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the chicken has browned.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and stir well. Bring to a full boil and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is thick, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked noodles to a large (13” x 9”) casserole dish, along with the sauce. Note: if you’re adding cheese, you can either stir it in with everything or sprinkle it on top.
- Stir everything together and bake in the preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes, until much of the sauce has been absorbed by the noodles.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 482Total Fat 11gCarbohydrates 56gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 35g