Big Batch Peach Bourbon Slush makes for an amazing big batch cocktail, perfect for serving friends and family during peach season!
This Big Batch Peach Bourbon Slush is because sometimes you need booze in your smoothie.
On a toasty Friday afternoon at the beginning of the month, it was too hot and too end-of-the-week-y to focus, so I broke out the blender, tossed in some over-ripe peaches that had almost reached fermentation status on my counter along with some bourbon and ice and WHAMO! I stopped working.
And started sipping.
The more I sipped, the more I realized, we’ve been doing this cocktail thing all wrong…
The slush is where it’s at.
Sure, I can dig a hand-shaken super herb-infused overly pretentious cocktail just like any high-waisted jort toting hipster, but when in need of a booze cruise to get the weekend started?
Slushie for president.
This summer has been all about fresh fruity cocktails au natural. Using wine or booze and seasonal fruit along with a natural sweetener, such as agave, maple syrup, honey, or coconut palm syrup, “skinny,” or healthier cocktails are super easy to make. Plus, using a natural liquid sweetener eliminates the need to make simple syrup, thus saving you time.
I was reading in this month’s edition of Bon Appetit that slushes (or slushies) are the rage in the cocktail world this year.
Can’t say I was too surprised, because they’re so simple to make and there are as many flavor options as there are fruit.
I know this is going to come to you as a shocker, but…peach and bourbon mesh fabulously together. Making a slush using fresh ripe (like, drippy ripe) peaches, a splash of lime juice, the bourb, some ice, and pure maple syrup makes for a refreshing cocktail that happens to be lightning fast to prepare.
- Use spiced rum or whisky instead of bourbon
- Replace the lime with lemon
- Pour in a splash of ginger beer or sparkling water
- Add full-fat canned coconut milk to make it creamy
- Add ice cream to make it a boozy milkshake
Whatever you do, just be sure to pour with a heavy hand. Not that I’m trying to get you pickled (totally trying to pickle you). Enjoy these while listening to the new Bastille.
- 6 cups large ripe peaches, about 6 large peaches
- 2 cups ice cubes *
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 3 to 4 tablespoons pure maple syrup or honey, to taste
- 8 to 10 ounces bourbon, more or less depending how strong you want the cocktail
- Add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Taste the cocktail and add more maple syrup or bourbon to taste. Serve and enjoy!
*If the peaches you’re using are frozen, you can omit the ice cubes
Nutrition InformationYield 5 Serving Size 1 Cocktail
Amount Per Serving Calories 264Total Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 37gSugar 31g