Easy Gluten-Free Zucchini Leek Fritters with delicious mint yogurt sauce make for an amazing side dish or light meal.
Ready for Zucchini Fest 2012?
It’s going to be similar to Cherry Fest 2012 because the few squash seeds we planted in our garden have turned into a jungle!
Round one of Zucchini Fest is a baked Zucchini & Leek Fritter. I tend to shy away from deep frying because I don’t have much experience with it and I enjoy the baked version of fried food just as much.
These fritters are packed with flavor. They come with a minty yogurt sauce which is fun and tasty, but the fritter is great by itself too.
Pretty soon, you’ll probably end up with boxfuls of squash from your neighbors who have CSAs or gardens of their own. When everyone you know begins handing you boxfuls of squash like they’re Bree Van De Kamp with a basket of muffins, you have fritter ideas at your disposal.
Fritters are a cool appetizer or snack and can be made in stages if you’re under a time crunch. They can also be made in massive quantities. Not to mention it goes down oh so well.
Baked Zucchini & Leek Fritters with Mint Yogurt Sauce
Easy, delicious gluten-free zucchini fritters make for an amazing side dish or appetizer!
For the zucchini & Leek fritters
- 2 medium sized zucchini squash, shredded
- 1 small leek, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 cloves garlic, roasted and minced
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp gluten-free all-purpose flour
For the Mint Yogurt Sauce
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 12 leaves mint, very finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Prepare the yogurt sauce by combining all ingredients in a bowl and stir to combine. Place in refrigerator until zucchini fritters are ready.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Wrap the garlic cloves (with skin on) in tin foil and bake for 20 minutes. When cool enough to handle, remove garlic skin and finely chop. If you have a food processor, chop the zucchini into quarters and pulse 8 to 10 times or until shredded but not mushy.
- Do the same with the leek.
- If you don’t have a food processor, shred the zucchini and finely chop the leek. Put the zucchini and leek shreds into a colander with a bowl underneath. Sprinkle salt over the shreds, toss with your hands and place the colander and bowl in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours. This allows the water to seep out of the squash (and into the bowl).
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prepare a lightly oiled baking sheet or line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Transfer the shredded zucchini and leek to a large mixing bowl. In a small bowl, beat the egg. Pour beaten egg over zucchini/leek, add remaining ingredients and stir to incorporate. Form patties out of the mixture and place on the baking sheet. Bake for 12 minutes then remove from oven, carefully flip the fritters and bake another 12 to 15 minutes until edges are crispy and the fritters feel dry when poked.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 of 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 95Total Fat 5gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 9gFiber 1gSugar 2gProtein 5g
Tuesday 2nd of July 2019
The fritters were way too strong of garlic and way to runny too! I left them draining for 5 to 6 hours, so wasn't anything to do with that. This is one recipe destined for the bin!
Friday 22nd of May 2020
I added 3 more tablespoons of flour and 3 more of regular bread crumbs to absorb the liquid and coated them in panko. Just kept adding until they held together. They needed to be baked a little longer time at a higher heat (425), but were delicious. Worth the adjustment.
Saturday 21st of June 2014
What's up mates, fastidious paragraph and good arguments commented here, I am truly enjoying by these.
Feel free to visit my web page :: http://androxbrasil.net
Friday 2nd of November 2012
Just want to say your article is as amazing. The clearness in your post is just spectacular and i can assume you are an expert on this subject. Well with your permission let me to grab your RSS feed to keep up to date with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work. [url=http://chanelhandbags.ezweb123.com/]chanel handbags[/url] chanel handbags