The Best Avocado Salad with cucumber, tomatoes, red onion, green onion and a delicious cilantro lime dressing. This simple and refreshing salad recipe makes for the perfect side dish to any meal.
Cool, creamy, tangy, zesty, herby, and zingy, this fresh avocado salad has it all!
It will most assuredly be the cool kid at your block party!
Delicious creamy avocado is the main star of the show and creates an enticing side salad when supported by cool crisp cucumber, juicy tomatoes, and crisp red onion.
A refreshing light and citrusy herb dressing with fresh herbs ties it all together to make an incredible flavor fest that you’ll want to include at any gathering!
Easy to make in bulk or scale down to feed fewer people, this versatile avocado salad is here for your every need.
Let’s discuss the fresh ingredients for this healthy avocado salad.
Ingredients For Avocado Salad:
Avocados: Ripe avocados are the main star here! You’ll want to pick up avocados that are ripe but still slightly firm and not completely through the ripening process.
This ensures the avocado slices will stay intact even after stirring and tossing the salad.
Cucumber: Fresh English cucumber brings a cooling, crunchy element to the salad, and gives it all sorts of summer vibes.
Be sure to remove the seeds from the crunchy cucumbers before chopping it to avoid added liquid in the salad, as cucumbers contain a great deal of water.
Regular cucumber is my preference, but Persian cucumbers work too.
Cherry Tomatoes (or Grape Tomatoes): Cut some adorable little cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes in half and toss them in for that nice tomato tang. Roma tomatoes work too.
Red Onion & Green Onion: Both red onion and green onion play important roles here! Red onion gives that zingy bite and green onion is that subtle, cooler creamy onion flavor.
For the Salad Dressing: Avocado oil (or olive oil), fresh lime juice (or fresh lemon juice), rice vinegar (or apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar), fresh garlic, pure maple syrup (trust me on this one), fresh cilantro, fresh oregano, salt and black pepper.
This combination of ingredients for the avocado salad dressing brings a powerful citrus and herb infusion that will knock your socks off! You’ll want to use this dressing on everything!
- Add 1 cup of cooked sweet corn to make avocado corn salad.
- For a southwest vibe, add ½ cup of corn and ½ cup black beans. You can also add half of a chopped red bell pepper.
- Stir in 2/3 cup of feta cheese or goat cheese crumbles for some delicious tang.
- For more garlicky flavor, add another clove or two of garlic, or add 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon of garlic powder.
- If you love bell peppers, add one half of a red bell pepper or green bell pepper.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes or some hot sauce for a little heat.
The fresh veggies in this amazing tomato avocado cucumber salad are a great addition to your healthy lunch.
The best part is all of the basic ingredients are available at any grocery store year round, making this tomato cucumber avocado salad ideal for the nest time you have a dinner party, gathering, or any time you’re looking for a light lunch.
Plus, it is low carb and a healthy side dish, which is a great option for all types of eaters.
Now that we’ve covered the simple ingredients, let’s make this delightful side dish.
How to Make Avocado Salad:
Stir together the ingredients for the salad dressing in a bowl or measuring cup and set aside until ready to use. You can also use a small food processor or blender to make the dressing if you’d like.
Add all of the ingredients for the avocado salad to a large mixing bowl (diced avocado, seeded and chopped cucumber, chopped cherry tomatoes, sliced red onion, and chopped green onions).
Pour in all of the salad dressing and gently toss everything together until everything is coated with dressing.
Taste the salad for flavor and add more salt or lime juice to taste.
Serve immediately in a large salad bowl or store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours for best results. Salad is freshest when eaten within the first 12 hours, so I don’t recommend this as a recipe one would make in advance.
Enjoy this cucumber avocado salad recipe with tortilla chips or crusty bread as you would a dip or guacamole, or use this refreshing simple avocado salad as a side salad to any dish, or use it as a condiment for tacos, green salads, tostadas, and more.
You can even add leftover cooked chicken, shrimp, steak, or rotisserie chicken to turn this into a perfect salad as a main dish.
The best thing about easy salad recipes like this is they are so versatile and can be tossed together in mere minutes, making healthy eating a breeze.
Love fresh and easy recipes for salads? Check out these reader favorites.
Healthy Salad Recipes:
- Mediterranean Salmon Salad
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Waldorf Chicken Salad
- The Best Broccoli Salad
- Refreshing Greek Salad
- The BEST Potato Salad
This simple avocado salad recipe pairs nicely with any main entrée, and is particularly delicious with grilled chicken or steak, grilled or baked salmon, and any kind of tacos.
Enjoy this amazing avocado salad alongside any meal!
- 2 large ripe but firm avocados, peeled and diced
- 1 medium-sized English cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ small red onion, thinly sliced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 Tbsp avocado oil*
- 2 Tbsp lime juice or lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar**
- 2 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp fresh oregano, chopped (or ½ tsp dried)
- ¼ tsp sea salt, to taste
- ⅛ tsp black pepper, to taste
1. Stir together the ingredients for the salad dressing in a bowl or measuring cup and set aside until ready to use.
2. Add all of the ingredients for the avocado salad to a large mixing bowl (diced avocado, seeded and chopped cucumber, chopped cherry tomatoes, sliced red onion, and chopped green onions). Pour in all of the salad dressing and gently toss everything together until everything is coated with dressing.
3. Taste the salad for flavor and add more salt or lime juice to taste.
4. Serve immediately in a large salad bowl or store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours for best results.
*or extra virgin olive oil
**you can also use apple cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
Salad is freshest when eaten within the first 12 hours, so I don't recommend this as a recipe one would make in advance.
Nutrition InformationYield 6 Serving Size 1 (of 6)
Amount Per Serving Calories 174Total Fat 15gCarbohydrates 13gFiber 4gSugar 4gProtein 2g