Fresh and healthy Buddha bowls with brown rice, mixed greens, cherries, blackberries, peaches, black beans, pistachios, red onion, avocado, queso fresco, and green goddess tahini dressing – an easy well-rounded meal that can be made any night of the week.
How do I put this?
They’re the cat’s meow.
So good, you’ll need a tissue to wipe your happy tears. So rambunctious, you’ll be up until 3am watching Gilmore Girls and Carpool Karaoke. So nutritious, you’ll feel like you’ll never need to eat anything every again. Except for more bowl.
The last few weeks, I’ve been yearning for an over-the-top bowl of summery sustenance. Something voluminous and sassy to go along with this summer bout of sassy McSassalot sassafras sass I seem to be experiencing.
I’ve been craving something with lots of variety and texture (enter das Buddha bowl), something colorful (enter stone fruit + mixed greens + queso fresco + avo +…you get the point), and something WOW saucy (enter green goddess tahini dressing).
I whipped up 4 different meals using many of the same ingredients you see in this recipe, but none were the exact thing I was looking. But these bowls. These exact bowls. They’re everything I want in a well-rounded, clean summer sassy meal.
And these bowls, though. Crunchy, squishy, sploogy flavor explosion. Sweet, tangy, salty, creamy – all the flavors, every texture. All the bases? Covered.
In case you’re not familiar with Buddha bowls, they’re basically an anything-goes bowl with a mixture of fresh and cooked greens, fruit, beans, nuts, cheese, and sauce on top of a bed of rice. They’re usually vegan or vegetarian and are packed full and well-rounded, like a Buddha’s belly.
Black beans + brown rice give you a complete protein, plus you have the pistachios, queso fresco, and the tahini to add to the protein profile. My carnivorous friends – feel free to add grilled or rotisserie chicken.
- Adding or subtracting various fruit.
- Using your favorite type of rice (forbidden or wild rice would be awesome)
- Incorporate your favorite greens – either cooked or raw – such as spinach, arugula, chard, or kale.
- Add hard boiled egg, chicken or serve alongside a cut of your favorite meat.
- Make the green goddess traditional by using tarragon and parsley in place of the basil and sage, or use your favorite combination of fresh herbs.
- Add roasted or grilled vegetables such as zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potato, broccoli, and/or eggplant
More Healthy Salad Recipes:
- All the Good Veggies Detox Salad with Lemon Parsley Dressing
- Cod Salad with Basil Walnut Pesto
- Healthy Chinese Chicken Salad
- Roasted Sweet Potato Kale Salad with Avocado and Jammy Egg
- Farmer’s Market Forbidden Rice Bowls with Apricot Tahini Sauce
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
Green Goddess Tahini Dressing:
- 1/3 cup tahini, well-stirred
- ¼ cup rice vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup water, or more if needed for blending
- 1 clove large garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- ¼ cup chives, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, packed
- 4 leaves large sage
Stone Fruit Buddha Bowls:
- 3 cups brown rice
- 5 ounces mixed greens, I used a baby lettuce blend
- 1 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup ripe cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 pint ripe blackberries
- 1 ripe peach, pitted and sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted and sliced
- ½ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ bunch green onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 1/3 cup shelled pistachios, chopped
Prepare the Green Goddess Tahini Dressing:
- Add all of the ingredients for the dressing to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. The dressing will be very thick - you can add more water or a splash of full-fat coconut milk to thin it out. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Prepare the Buddha Bowls:
- Cook the rice according to package instructions. Divide it among 4 large bowls, along with the remaining ingredients. Drizzle desired amount of green goddess dressing over each bowl and serve.
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 Serving
Amount Per Serving Calories 563Total Fat 28gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 67gFiber 17gSugar 12gProtein 19g