Roasted butternut squash, sweet potato, and beets over forbidden rice with maple-cinnamon tahini sauce is a carb-loaded meal of dreams.
^Animaniacs reference, anyone?
Said like, “hellooooo nurse?”
By those furry little critters?
They’re zaney to the max?
On the WB?
Too much on a Monday?
Of the whole food varietal.
I’m not sure how you would classify these bowls. Breakfast? Brunch? Lunch? Linner? Dinner? Delicious? Whatever you categorize them, they’ll certainly fill you up and then some. A big helping of forbidden rice with a medley of roasted root vegetables + butternut squash, topped with a drizzle egg, followed by a healthy saucing of tahini wonderment. Juh-OY!
It’s probably no shocker that I’m a ginorm fan of roasted or sauteed sticking on top of a bed of rice with a drizzle of something special on board. Some people are super into the mixed grill thing, while some folks are into the mixed vegetable rice bowl with funky fresh sauce thing. Some people can swing both ways, and that’s cool too. Moving right along.
Changerooskis? It’s bowl food. Anything goes. You can basically turn this thing into any freaking thing you want. Use your fave veggies of choice for the roasting (balsamic-roasted vegetables, anyone? YUM), use your favorite type of rice (aromatic rice, anyone), add some animal protein like grilled chicken, just do your thang, girl (or boy).
Spoiler alert: I may have added sauteed spinach to the bowl, but left it out of the recipe because I’m fairly certain you’uns are going to omit it anyway, right? Feel free to saute up some greens for some extra iron + vitamins.
Roasted Vegetable Forbidden Rice Bowls with Maple Tahini SaucePrint
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked forbidden rice
- ½ inch medium butternut squash chopped into ¼- thick slices
- 3 small beets chopped into wedges
- 1 inch medium sweet potato chopped into ½- cubes
- Olive oil for coating vegetables
- Sea salt and pepper
Prepare the Maple Tahini Sauce:
- Add all of the ingredients for the sauce to a small blender and blend until completely smooth. Set aside until ready to use. If mixture thickens up while sitting, add a small amount of water and stir well to reach desired consistency.
Prepare the Roasted Vegetable Bowls:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. While the oven is preheating, chop the vegetables, and cook the rice according to package instructions.
- Place the wedges of raw beets on a long strip of foil and enclose the beets into a foil packet. Place on a baking sheet and roast for 40 to 50 minutes, or until beets are soft and juices are seeping out.
- Arrange the chopped butternut squash and sweet potato on a large baking sheet and coat lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. After beets have been roasting for about 15 minutes, place the sheet of butternut squash and sweet potatoes in the oven. Roast 12 minutes, flip, then roast another 12 to 15 minutes, until veggies are golden-brown and cooked through.
- Add desired amount of rice to separate bowls, and season to taste. Top with desired amount of roasted vegetables, a sunnyside up or soft boiled egg, and a generous drizzle of maple tahini sauce.
More Bowl Recipes: