Paleo double chocolate zucchini bread made with almond flour and sweetened naturally with pure maple syrup. This rich and delicious quickbread is prepared easily in your blender.
Oh hey, let’s talk about sugar!
Does anyone else get massive sugar cravings during the summer?
Is this a thing? I have a pretty dope year-round sweet tooth, which is under a decent amount of self-control during most of the year… EXCEPT THE SUMMER! What is that?? <- I know I sound like a toddler…don’t kill me with fire.
I didn’t pay much attention to it until last summer, when I took my own self by surprise, as I basically thought of nothing else but sugar.
As we know, the majority of the sugar I eat comes in the form of natural sweeteners (mostly pure maple syrup), which is a little bit better than gorging on refined cane sugar or high fructose corn syrup, but still, my body is very sensitive to sugar, so this translates to a nice little spit of low energy and feeling gloomy.
The good news is while this summer was no exception for my sugar fiendetry, I finally broke myself of the habit last week, and I’m no longer craving sugar as aggressively as I had been over the last month or so.
Folks who can relate: how do you break your sugar cycle when you’re eyeballs deep?
I try to keep a peaceful mind, eat more complex carbohydrates as a sugar replacement, and tell myself it’ll all be over in due time.
Who wants double chocolate zucchini bread?
Two chocolates is always better than one. <- Facts of life.
Now that I’ve tarnished the talk with my confession of obsessive summertime sugar behavior, I’m sure you’re extra, double, triple enticed 😉
I teased you with this bread on my Instagram story a few weeks ago, and it’s taken me until now to finally post it. Technically, we could call this a triple chocolate zucchini bread, because I topped the thing with cacao nibs, but I realize not everyone will follow suit, so I stick to the “double” terminology.
This is one of those bread recipes I can easily see us putting on repeat. It’s rich, it’s moist, it’s dense, it’s chocolaty, it’s a healthy version of zucchini bread, it really does whet your whistle. If you’re itching for something sinful, heating up a hefty slice with a dollop of butter and a drizzle of pure maple syrup is a surefire way of taking this to the next level.
If you want to be a total badass, you can whip up my Paleo Chocolate Magic Shell and drizzle it on top as a glaze situation.
As per usual, we’re looking at a grain-free, refined sugar-free (naturally sweetened), dairy-free, adventure, which is paleo friendly and is easily prepared in your blender. If you’re accustomed to making my sweet treats, you know the drill!
Get your loaf on!
Paleo Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup full-fat canned coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely ground almond flour
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup raw cacao powder see note*
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1-1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon cacao nibs for garnish, optional
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil and line a 9" x 5" loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Add all ingredients except the zucchini, dark chocolate chips, and cacao nibs (last 3) to a blender. Blender until completely smooth. Fold in the zucchini and dark chocolate chips. Stir very well to ensure the ingredients are well-incorporated.
- Transfer the bread batter to the prepared loaf pan and smooth into an even layer. Garnish with cacao nibs. Bake on the center rack of the preheated oven for 35 minutes, or until the bread has set up and feels firm when poked. Turn off the oven and allow the bread to sit in the hot oven another 5 minutes.
- Remove zucchini bread from the oven and allow it to cool 40 minutes before slicing and serving.