Instant Pot shredded chicken tacos with an easy cabbage slaw, salsa, and pico de gallo make for a fresh and vibrant meal! Whip up the shredded chicken in your Instant Pot or crock pot for amazingly flavorful tacos.
Did you check out my Instant Pot Shredded Chicken recipe I posted yesterday? If so, you know what’s about to go down.
Shredded chicken tacos, that’s what!
These fun and frisky tacos are all the flavorful and are easy to throw together at a moment’s notice! The chicken takes less than 30 minutes to make from start-to-finish and you can prepare your toppings while it cooks.
Let’s talk toppings!
Chicken Taco Toppings: I like pico de gallo, green salsa, and a homemade quick cabbage slaw. Pressed for time? Buy it all pre-made! I buy the pico and green salsa from the store and make the cabbage slaw in 2 minutes flat.
The slaw only requires two ingredients: cabbage and lime juice. And sea salt. BOOM slaw.
You can also go with cheese, onion, cilantro, and/or avocado for topping. Homemade pineapple or mango salsa work great as well!
You can go with corn or flour tortillas or grain-free tortillas to keep the tacos low-carb and/or paleo-friendly.
Let’s make them!
How to Make Shredded Chicken Tacos:
Plug in your Instant Pot and press the Saute button. Add the oil and chopped onion. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onion is very fragrant and begins turning golden-brown around the edges, about 3 to 4 minutes.
Place the boneless skinless chicken breasts in the Instant Pot and brown on one side 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and brown on the other side another 3 minutes (note: don’t cook the chicken all the way through just yet. We are just searing the meat for now to trap in some moisture).
After all of the chicken has browned, pour in broth, seasoning and salt.
Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and select Manual or Pressure Cook. Set the time for 8 minutes, leaving the vent sealed. Be sure the pressure cooker is set to the high pressure setting. After pressure cooker has run its course, immediately release pressure manually, then open the lid.
Use tongs to transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board, leaving the juices in the Instant Pot.
Use two forks to shred the chicken breasts.
Transfer shredded chicken back to the Instant Pot and cover. Allow it to sit in the juices at least 15 minutes prior to serving. This process helps make the shredded chicken moist.
While the chicken is cooking in the pressure cooker, prepare your taco toppings. Make the pico de gallo, salsa, and cabbage slaw (and/or any other choice of homemade or store-bought toppings).
Heat up your tortillas, then fill them generously with chicken, salsa, sauce, and cabbage slaw. Enjoy!
Whip these chicken tacos up any ol’ night of the week! Taco Tuesday? Cinco de Mayo? The answer is yes.
A taco a day…
More Delicious Taco Recipes:
- Green Chile Chicken Tacos with Mexican Street Corn
- Grilled Chicken Tacos with Mango Salsa
- Spiced Ground Beef Tacos with Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- Crock Pot Barbacoa Beef Tacos
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @The.Roasted.Root on Instagram!
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, 2 or 3 large breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 Tbsp fresh lime juice, to taste
- sea salt , to taste
- pico de gallo
- green salsa
- 3 stalks green onion, chopped
Make the Chicken:
- Plug in your Instant Pot and press the Saute button. Add the oil and chopped onion and garlic. Saute, stirring occasionally, until onion is very fragrant and begins turning golden-brown around the edges, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Place the boneless skinless chicken breasts in the Instant Pot and brown on one side 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and brown on the other side another 3 minutes (note: don’t cook the chicken all the way through just yet. We are just searing the meat for now to trap in some moisture).
- After all of the chicken has browned, pour in broth, seasoning and salt.
- Secure the lid on the Instant Pot and select Manual or Pressure Cook and be sure the pressure cooker is on the High Setting. Set the time for 8 minutes, leaving the vent sealed. After pressure cooker has run its course, use the quick release valve to immediately release pressure manually, then open the lid.
- Use tongs to transfer chicken to a cutting board. Use two forks to shred the chicken, then place the shredded chicken back into the Instant Pot with the juices. Allow meat to sit about 5 minutes to soak up the juices.
Make the Cabbage Slaw:
- While the chicken is cooking, prepare the cabbage slaw. Slice cabbage thinly and place it in a bowl. Pour lime juice over the cabbage and sprinkle liberally with sea salt. Use your hands to massage the lime juice and salt into the cabbage to help soften it up. Taste for flavor and add more lime juice or sea salt to taste. Allow slaw to sit while preparing the rest of the recipe
- Heat tortillas in the microwave, oven, or in a skillet. Add desired amount of shredded chicken, pico de gallo, green salsa, and slaw. Sprinkle with chopped green onion and enjoy!
Nutrition InformationYield 4 Serving Size 1 taco
Amount Per Serving Calories 220Total Fat 8gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 8gFiber 2gSugar 1gProtein 26g