Instant Pot Corned Beef and cabbage is quick and mouth-watering delicious! This easy corned beef made in a pressure cooker is a crowd-pleasing delight!
For years, I made Crock Pot Corned Beef and Cabbage using my slow cooker on St. Patrick’s Day. While I love slow cooked meat, I almost exclusively use my Instant Pot now, because it is just so quick and easy.
This year, I not only brined my own beef (check out my tutorial on How to Brine Corned Beef (Nitrate-Free), but I also prepared it in the ol’ pressure cooker. The process was much easier than I had anticipated, AND lots of fun!
Let’s jump right in!
How to Make Corned Beef and Cabbage in the Instant Pot
Remove your corned beef from its packaging (or if you brined it yourself at home, take it out of the container you used for brining) and rinse thoroughly under cool water.
Plug in your Instant Pot and pour in the beef broth (you can use beer as well, or a combination of beer and broth. You can also just use water). If you brined your corned beef at home, you can do as I do and add a few bay leaves to the pot, along with two cinnamon sticks and 2 tablespoons of pickling spices
Insert the wire rack into the bottom of the Instant Pot (you don’t want the beef to touch the bottom of the pot if possible).
Place the rinsed beef on top of the wire rack and secure the lid. Press the Manual button and cook on high pressure for 90 minutes. Allow Instant Pot to naturally release for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure.
Use tongs to carefully remove the beef and place it on a cutting board. It will be so tender that it will likely fall apart, so be careful with the removal. Cover the meat in foil and allow it to rest while you’re preparing the vegetables.
Leaving the juices and wire rack in the bottom of the Instant Pot, place the vegetables on top of the rack (Note: I use 1 head of cabbage, which I quarter, and 4 large carrots. You can also do red potatoes and/or onion).
Pressure cook on high 5 minutes, then manually release the steam.
Cut the beef against the grain and serve with vegetables. Drizzle the juices from the Instant Pot over everything for a delicious meal.
- You can use any type of broth or water for the liquid portion of this recipe. I love using a Guiness and adding a couple cups of broth, or just plain ol beef broth.
- Consider adding additional spices to the broth, such as a few bay leaves, two cinnamon sticks, and/or 2 tablespoons of pickling spices.
- Use any of your favorite vegetables – red potato, cabbage, carrots, and onion are recommended.
Consider adding the following sides to your meal!:
- Cheese and Herb Irish Soda Bread
- Colcannon (Irish Mashed Potatoes)
- Pesto Quinoa Salad with Asparagus Avocado and Kale
- Paleo Cornbread
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @TheRoastedRoot on Instagram!
- 1 (2 to 5-lb) corned beef
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 large head cabbage, chopped in quarters
- 5 large carrots, peeled and chopped into 2-inch chunks
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 Tbsp pickling spices
- Remove corned beef from its packaging and rinse well.
- Plug in your Instant Pot and pour in the beef broth. If you're adding any spices, do so now and stir. Insert the wire rack on the bottom so that the beef is suspended.
- Transfer the corned beef to the Instant Pot and secure the lid. Press Manual and set the time for 90 minutes.
- Once Instant Pot has run its course, allow it to naturally release for 10 to 30 minutes. Manually release any remaining pressure.
- Use tongs to carefully transfer beef to a cutting board and cover in foil while you prepare the vegetables.
- Leaving the liquid in the bottom of the Instant Pot, place the vegetables on top of the wire rack. Press Manual and set time for 5 minutes.
- Once Instant Pot has completed its course, manually release the pressure.
- Cut the beef against the grain and serve with vegetables. Drizzle the juices over the beef and veggies for a real good time!
Nutrition InformationYield 10 Serving Size 1 of 10
Amount Per Serving Calories 475Total Fat 16gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 6gSugar 6gProtein 75g