Ground Turkey Taco Soup with black beans, corn, and fresh veggies for a high-protein, low-fat, delicious soup! This healthy soup recipe is easy to make in big batches for meal prepping for weeknight meals.
We’ve all had taco soup, but have you tried ground turkey taco soup?
When the concept came to me, I felt as though I had a eureka moment.
A classic Taco Soup recipe typically involves chicken, but I like using ground turkey for a number of reasons.
First, it requires less prep or hassle than chicken (no chopping!) for speedy prep, it is very lean, making it ideal for those who track their macros or are mindful eaters, and I love the way it tastes!
Nothing against chicken (it’s clear I’m a fan), I just love mixing up classic recipes using different ingredients.
For those who prioritize getting enough protein while keeping carbs and fats in balance, this delicious ground turkey soup recipe is solid gold.
Similar to my Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup, this yummy protein-forward soup is just engulfed in taco vibes.
Full of your traditional taco flavors in soup form with bursts of yummy texture from the corn and beans, this easy soup recipe is marvelous year-round, particularly during the cold winter months.
The best part is this simple one-pot meal comes together quickly with little cleanup. The majority of the ingredients are pantry staples!
Let’s discuss the fresh ingredients needed to make this hearty taco soup recipe.
Ingredients for Ground Turkey Taco Soup:
Avocado Oil: Used to sauté the vegetables and brown the meat, we use avocado oil. Avocado oil has a high smoke point, making it ideal for cooking at high temperatures. Olive oil works too here.
Vegetables: Onion, Garlic, Bell Peppers are the fresh veggies that give this healthy soup recipe a big, bold flavor with a hint of sweetness.
Lean Ground Turkey: The protein of choice here, we use ground turkey for a low-fat healthy soup. Feel free to use ground chicken, lean ground beef, or chicken breasts or chicken thighs instead of ground turkey.
Black Beans and Corn: Adding pops of crisp sweet texture and soft squishy texture, corn and beans bring tasty flavors and heartiness to the soup. If you don’t do corn, feel free to skip it and use another can of black beans, pinto beans, or kidney beans. Also feel free to add an extra can of beans for a chili-like soup.
Liquid: The broth is comprised of Chicken Broth and Crushed Tomatoes. I use less liquid than a standard soup recipe to give it a thick, hearty feel, but you can always add more chicken broth to thin it out if you like a lot of broth.
Seasonings: Chili Powder, Ground Cumin, Sea Salt, and black pepper. These seasonings are all you need for an outrageously flavorful broth. If you have Homemade Taco Seasoning mix on hand, feel free to use it!
- Use 1 teaspoon of garlic powder instead of fresh garlic if you’d like.
- Swap the crushed tomatoes for canned fire-roasted tomatoes, tomato sauce or enchilada sauce if it’s what you have on hand.
- Add one can of green chilies if you love them! I often do this.
- For creamy taco soup, add 1/2 cup of heavy cream or cream cheese to the soup.
- While I always recommend using fresh onion when possible, 2 teaspoons of onion powder works as a replacement in a pinch.
- For a little heat, add 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the soup.
- Vegetable broth and beef broth work as replacements for chicken broth.
Now that we’re familiar with the simple ingredients for this flavorful soup, let’s make it!
How to Make Ground Turkey Taco Soup:
Heat the avocado oil in a large pot (such as a Dutch oven or stock pot) over medium-high heat.
Add the chopped onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
Stir in the chopped bell pepper and garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add in the ground turkey and use a spatula to chop it into small bits. Stir in the chili powder, ground cumin, and sea salt until everything is well combined.
Transfer the black beans, corn, chicken broth and crushed tomatoes (the rest of the ingredients) to the pot and stir well. Cover and bring the soup to a full boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a gentle bubble and cook for 10 to 30 minutes (the longer the soup cooks the more the flavors will develop).
Serve ground turkey taco soup with your favorite taco toppings, like diced avocado, shredded cheese, green onions, sour cream, lime wedges, pico de gallo or salsa of choice, tortilla chips or corn chips, etc.
I’m not going to lie, I somehow got into the habit of putting pancakes on top of the soup (similar concept to cornbread), so there’s always that option.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Like most soups, stews, and chili recipes, this taco soup is even more flavorful the next day (and the following 3-4 days). Make it ahead of time for meal prep for the best results.
This hearty soup recipe makes four servings of soup (about 2 cups per serving), so if you’re looking for more servings or bigger servings, double the recipe. You won’t regret having leftovers on hand for the whole family to enjoy!
If you’re meal prepping this recipe, you can measure out 4 single servings and store the soup in meal prep containers to bring to work for lunches.
Be sure to pick up your favorite toppings for a delicious meal.
While you can prepare this easy taco soup recipe in a crock pot or make Instant Pot Taco Soup, the recipe comes together so quickly on the stove top that I think making it on the stove top makes the most sense.
If you’re looking for more easy soup recipes to enjoy throughout soup season, check these out!
More Healthy Soup Recipes:
- Sicilian Meatball Soup with Cabbage
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Crock Pot Stuffed Pepper Soup
- Wild Rice Chicken Soup
- Chicken Yellow Curry Soup
- Rustic Tortellini Soup with Sausage
Enjoy this easy, hearty dinner recipe any night of the week!
Ground Turkey Taco Soup
- Sliced avocado
- Grated cheese
- Tortillas or Chips
- Sour cream
- Heat the avocado oil in a large pot (such as a Dutch oven or stock pot) over medium-high heat.
- Add the chopped onion and sauté, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the chopped bell pepper and garlic and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add in the ground turkey and use a spatula to chop it into small bits. Stir in the chili powder, ground cumin, and sea salt until everything is well combined.
- Transfer the black beans, corn, chicken broth and crushed tomatoes (the rest of the ingredients) to the pot and stir well. Cover and bring the soup to a full boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to a gentle bubble and cook for 10 to 30 minutes (the longer the soup cooks the more the flavors will develop).
- Serve ground turkey taco soup with your favorite taco toppings, like diced avocado, shredded cheese, green onions, sour cream, salsa of choice, tortilla chips or corn chips, etc.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.