What I’m about to tell you has made my pot-o-excitement bubble and boil for ages! I
t’s overflowing and about to explode. Ready for it??
Nicole Morrissey, who writes the blog, Prevention RD recently published her first cookbook! Nicole is a Registered Dietition and her cookbook, Prevention RD’s Everyday Healthy Cooking, includes 100 mouth-watering well-balanced recipes that are delicious, fun, creative and healthy!
Not only is this exciting in and of itself, but there’s more to the story than that.
I “met” Nicole about 7 months ago when I signed a contract write my cookbook.
I had never written a cookbook and knew nothing of the process. I was scared, needed comfort. On Facebook, I reached out to a forum of food bloggers, asking if anyone had worked with my publisher, and Nicole responded that she was working with them too!
While going through all of Nicole’s recipes, I was immediately drawn to her Coconut Shrimp and Chickpea Curry recipe. And so I made it and it’s perfect. Cereal. Perfection.
Next up on my to-make list is her Roasted Blue Cheese Brussels Sprouts. Her Lightened up Apple Crisp is definitely on the agenda this fall…as in right now.
The book includes recipes that suit anyone’s pallet and dietary needs.
Nicole includes recipes that incorporate various types of meats, as well as vegetarian, vegan, gluten-free, high fiber, and heart healthy recipes. The options are a-plenty. And the pictures make you swoon!
HUGE congrats to my lady, Nicole Morrisey, for a job well-done!
You can purchase her book, Prevention RD’s Everyday Healthy Cooking today and stay tuned for her second book, which is focused on almond flour recipes and will be published in Spring 2014!
In the meantime, enjoy this shrimp curry!
Coconut Shrimp and Chickpea Curry
- 1 1.2 cups dry brown basmati rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound large shrimp peeled and deveined
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-ounce can light coconut milk
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- In a large saucepan, bring 3 cups water to a boil. Stir in rice and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cover. Cook 20 - 30 minutes, according to package instructions.
- In a medium-sized stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion, and cook 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in pepper, ginger, salt, garlic, coriander, turmeric, and curry powder. Continue cooking, stirring often, until onion is soft and translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add undrained tomatoes to the pot, and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add coconut milk and bring to a simmer. Simmer 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often.
- Add shrimp and chickpeas, cook until shrimp are pink and curled, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Serve hot over cooked rice.