Healthy gluten-free, vegan carrot cake baked oatmeal. A true treat for breakfast!
What better time to mask a healthy breakfast as a delicious dessert than after a cake and pie-filled holiday? If you’re like me, you required 48 hours to recover from the 2 slices of chocolate pie, one (thick) slice of pumpkin cheesecake and bowl of pistachio ice cream (whoa, how’d that get thrown in there?) from Thanksgiving.
A sure-fire way of getting back on the train after an epic crash is pretending like the crash never existed.
This recipe has all the comforts of a baked good but is naturally sweetened with honey and has nothing but great-for-you ingredients.
It takes but a couple minutes to throw together and about 12 minutes to bake. Out comes cinnamony, creamy, nutty, satisfying breakfast.
There are some great baked oatmeal recipes on the interweb that are prepared in a casserole dish in large quantities and cut into squares.
While this is a wonderful idea for a post-holiday breakfast for guests or weekend breakfast for a big family, I’m the only person in my house who eats oatmeal, so I make it personal-sized in a ramekin. Oatmeal for one? Will do.
Pretend like the train never got derailed. Ain’t no reason to look back, so let’s look forward with carrot cake oatmeal ramekin in hand.
- ¾ cup gluten-free old fashioned rolled oats
- Dash cinnamon
- Dash ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup shredded carrot
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup, to taste*
- 1 tablespoon craisins, or raisins
- 1 tablespoon chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon apple sauce, optional
- ½ cup boiling hot water
- ¼ cup full-fat canned coconut milk, plus more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon orange zest, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Add all ingredients for the baked oatmeal to a ramekin or oven-safe bowl and stir well. Bake in the preheated oven for 12 minutes. Remove ramekin from the oven, allow it to cool enough to touch, about 5 to 10 minutes and serve for breakfast with additional coconut milk or almond milk.
*You can use honey if not vegan, or agave, coconut palm nectar, or brown sugar
Nutrition InformationYield 1 Serving Size 1 batch
Amount Per Serving Calories 492Total Fat 11gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 86gFiber 13gSugar 23gProtein 14g