Wasabi Vegetable Bowls are packed with fresh vegetables like broccoli, spinach, microgreens, cucumber, and a creamy, amazing wasabi sauce. A delicious and healthful weeknight vegan meal!
What if I told you I ate this meal four days in a row? Okay, you caught me…seven days in a row. Alright, ten. Business days…and counting. Sometimes for both lunch and dinner.
Point is, I’m certifiably obsessed with this wasabi vegetable bowl. I snagged the idea for the recipe from a Great Full Gardens, a restaurant here in Reno, NV. All’s it is is steamed (or sautéed) broccoli and spinach mixed up with brown rice and the best wasabi sauce you’ve ever laid mouth on.
After trying it at GFG, I found myself craving it regularly, particularly on account of the creamy (vegan) wasabi sauce.
Historically, I’ve never been particularly fond of wasabi, but in this application? Wunderbar!
Because I’m a recipe developer by trade and a reverse engineer by hobby, I went ahead and figured out how to make dis ish at home. Because: budget.
To give the wasabi sauce a creamy texture and flavor, while keeping it healthful, all I did was mix up store-bought wasabi paste with tahini.
For some tang and spunk, I also threw liquid aminos (you can use soy sauce if you’d like) rice vinegar, and nutritional yeast (<- you can omit if you don’t have any on hand). This simple sauce makes the whole bowl so unbelievably real.
How to Make Wasabi Vegetable Bowls:
- Cook the rice.
- While the rice is cooking, sauté the vegetables.
- …and stir together the ingredients for the sauce.
- Once the rice is cooked, add it to the skillet with the veggies, along with the sauce, and stir.
Taste this glorious mixture and add more sea salt, liquid aminos and/or wasabi as desired.
Top it all off with sliced cucumber, avocado, and microgreens. WHAMO super easy vegetarian meal full of flavor and health benefits.
Plus, this meal is S-E-X-EEEE if you ask me. Fresh, frisky, intriguing.
Need protein? Just add chicken. Or Tofu. Whatever’s your jam.
Change up the vegetable selection as desired.
Don’t forget to top it all off with cooling cucumber and avocado for some added crisp and cream.
FEAST the greeeeeeeen
Wasabi Vegetable Bowls
Creamy Wasabi Sauce:
- 1 ripe avocado peeled and sliced
- 1/2 small cucumber sliced
- Microgreens for serving optional
Prepare the Wasabi Sauce:
- Blend the ingredients for the Wasabi Sauce in a small blender or whisk vigorously in a bowl until combined. NOTE: If your sauce is super thick and pasty, add 2 to 3 tablespoons of water to thin it out
Prepare the Vegetable Bowls:
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- While rice is cooking, saute the vegetables. Add the olive oil to a medium-sized non-stick skillet, along with the chopped broccolini. Cook covered over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until broccolini has softened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and green onion, and continue cooking until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the baby spinach, cover the skillet, and cook until spinach has wilted, about two minutes. Add sea salt to taste.
- Add the cooked rice and wasabi sauce to the skillet with the vegetables. Stir everything well and add sea salt and/or liquid aminos and wasabi to taste.
- Divide rice and veggies between 2 or 3 bowls. Top with sliced cucumber, avocado, and microgreens.