Spring has sprung a leak and it has brought my favorite cabbage patch kid look-alike in the grocery store: butter leaf lettuce! There aren’t many vegetables that I feel the urge to hug, and butter leaf lettuce happens to be one of them.
My view on lettuce wraps: tacos on a diet. My view on tacos: cooooooome to momma! After I took a couple of diggers on a poppy-filled jog through spring paradise, my sweetpea and I made a big pile of turkey fajitas and then made them into lettuce wraps. Correction: I made lettuce wraps…the boyfriend put the fajitas on a cheesy toasted sandwich bun and left me to my
diet tacos rabit food.
They’re full of fajita flavor, they’re easy, they make leftovers. Done!
If you’ve been hanging out with The Roasted Root for quite some time, you’re familiar with the fact that dinner becomes breakfast with the simple addition of eggs and greenery. We used our fajita leftovers in a breakfast scramble, simply adding spinach and cheese.
One dinner, one breakfast, one fajita!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into strips
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground turkey meat
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Butter leaf lettuce, rinsed and patted dry
- Cheese and other toppings
- In a large skillet or wok, heat olive oil over medium and sauté the onion until it begins to sweat and starts to become translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and continue sautéing another 7 minutes before adding the garlic. Cook until bell pepper is tender but still al dente. If at any point, the veggies look like they’re drying out, add a couple of tablespoons of water or broth to help them steam.
- Add the ground turkey meat along with all of the spices and salt. Stir and chop the meat into quarter-sized hunks. Continue stirring and cooking until meat is cooked all the way through, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Prepare your lettuce wraps by spooning desired amount of fajita fixings on top of lettuce leaves. Add desired toppings, such as cheese, rice, beans, avocado, salsa or sour cream.
- Wrap and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1 grams
Amount Per Serving: Unsaturated Fat: 0g
Check out these other great recipes for Lettuce Wraps:
Black Bean Lettuce Wrap Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa from Coffee & Quinoa
Asian Steak Lettuce Wraps from Shared Appetite
Ginger Chicken Lettuce Wraps from A Kitchen Muse
Roasted Sweet Potato and Chorizo Lettuce Wraps from Perry’s Plate
Spicey Pork and Veggie Lettuce Wraps from Simply Scratch
Annnnnd…if you wanna make the fajita scramble, here’s what you need: About 2 to 3 cups leftover fajitas, 3 large handfuls baby spinach, 6 eggs, cheese and your favorite scramble toppings
Thank you to everyone who participated in my Bob’s Red Mill Giveaway! A winner was randomly chosen using a random number generator and has been notified through email.