A Paleo Irish Beef Stew recipe made quick and easy in your Instant Pot! Enjoy this comforting meal on St. Patrick’s Day!
How do you celebrate St. Patrick’s Day?
While there’s no denying the joy of a good corned beef, I’m also a big fan of Irish Beef Stew. Traditionally, Irish Beef Stew is made using Guinness.
Because I know most folks around here are gluten-free (and often paleo), I figured I would create the recipe sans beer in the Instant Pot (bonus!).
Ease of preparation, gluten-free, paleo-friendly…hitting all the marks here!
Instead of Guinness, I use some low-sulfite red wine, cider vinegar and a touch of molasses.
Many paleo folks are cool with sulfite-free wine for cooking or drinking, but if you’re alcohol-free, no sweat.
There are eleventy billion ways you can change up this combination – check out my Recipe Adaptations and the recipe card below for ideas.
The stew turns out so delightfully flavorful and comforting. It has all the appeal of a classic Irish stew, yet is oh so simple to prepare in the pressure cooker.
Let’s talk stew, shall we?
How to Make Instant Pot Irish Beef Stew:
Begin by chopping all the vegetables.
Turn your Instant Pot on Sauté mode and add the oil and onion. Sauté until the onion is fragrant and translucent. Scoot the onion off to the side and add the beef stew meat. Brown meat for a few minutes before adding the remainder of the ingredients.
Give everything a big stir, secure the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on the Stew/Meat mode for 30 minutes. Keep the pressure release valve set to Sealing. Once the Instant Pot has run its course, allow it to go into Keep Warm mode for 20 minutes. Release any remaining pressure (if any).
At this point, you’re ready to serve, or you can thicken the stew using tapioca flour. To do so, put the Instant Pot back on the Sauté mode and add the tapioca flour. Stir well and allow stew to boil 5 to 8 minutes until it begins to thicken up.
Serve with your choice of St. Patrick’s Day-inspired sides, and enjoy!
Slow Cooker Irish Beef Stew:
If you prefer making stew in the crock pot, no sweat! I simply pour every last ingredient into my slow cooker (without sautéing the onion or browning the meat first, although you can do so if you’d like) and slow cook on low for 8 to 10 hours.
- Replace the wine with additional beef broth.
- Swap out the cider vinegar for red wine vinegar.
- Exchange pure maple syrup for the molasses, or don’t add a sweetener at all.
- Omit the cabbage if you aren’t into it.
- Add red or russet potatoes, butternut squash, yucca root, rutabaga, or any other starchy vegetable you’d like.
- Double the beef for a meat lover’s delight.
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your all your support!
If you make this Instant Pot Paleo Irish Beef Stew, please feel free to share a photo and tag@The.Roasted.Root on Instagram!
Stew it up!
Instant Pot Irish Beef Stew
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion
- 2 lbs beef stew meat
- 3 large carrots peeled and chopped into 2-inch chunks
- 3 large parsnips peeled and chopped into 2-inch chunks
- 3 ribs celery chopped
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 Tbsp dried parsley
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 cup sulfite-free red wine see note*
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp molasses or pure maple syrup
- 1 small head cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp sea salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp tapioca flour optional**
- Turn your Instant Pot on Saute mode and add the oil and onion. Saute until the onion is fragrant and translucent. Scoot the onion off to the side and add the beef stew meat. Brown meat for 2 to 3 minutes on two sides.
- Add the remaining ingredients in the order in which they appear on the ingredient list. Give everything a big stir, secure the lid on the Instant Pot and cook on the Stew/Meat mode for 15 minutes. Keep the pressure release valve set to Sealing. Once the Instant Pot has run its course, allow it to go into Keep Warm mode for 20 minutes. Release any remaining pressure (if any).
- If you'd like to thicken the stew, put the Instant Pot back on the Saute mode and add the tapioca flour. Stir well and allow stew to boil 5 to 8 minutes until it begins to thicken up.
- Serve with your favorite homemade gluten-free bread and enjoy!