Herby Grilled Burgers with Caramelized Onions and Jalapeños are a flavor-blasted approach to your favorite grilled burger.
Plus, these easy burgers are the best use of herbs ever!
It’s officially FOOTBALL season, people!
You know what that means! Grilled meats galore!
Specifically, grilled burgers, because: easy. Don’t panic, but I used bison meat. You can use beef, turkey, or elk.
Choose your delicious, delicious, protein.
Have I told you about caramelized onions?
They’re nature’s candy.
Better than caramel itself.
A real delight for the taste buds.
Let’s add jalapenos, shall we?
Adding trifecta of basil, parsley and mint to the meat creates insanity in the membrane.
Confession: I ate my burger bun-less, are you shocked?
Confession x2: I’ve been obsessively watching The League lately. Too good. So brazen. Wish I were on a fantasy football team.
Confession x3: Pepper jack cheese – let’s have words.
It’s basically the best cheese to put on a burger in my opinion. Other than havarti, gouda, blue, or the sharpest cheddar in the shed.
So basically, I’m ranking it 3rd on the Best Cheese to Put on a Burger Richter Scale.
You guys, let’s face it: Grilling does something wonky wonderful to animal fat, have you noticed?
It basically turns it into a melted stick of butter for your face. And then you add the 3rd Best Burger Cheese in the state of the union, plus the nature’s candy, and holy love joy, the magic of magics happens right there on your tongue organ.
Do you see the cheese? The herbed meat?
Don’t make me show you raw ground chuck. Because I will.
Not to sound threatening or anything, but caramelize the nearest onion, OR ELSE!
Make it for the football tailgates. Make it because grilling season won’t last forever and because you like things that taste like a stick of butter wrapped in herbed bliss.
Herby Grilled Burgers with Caramelized Onions and Jalapeños
Caramelized Onions and Jalapenos:
- 3 tablespoons to 4 olive oil
- 2 large yellow onions sliced
- 3 jalapenos seeded and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt to taste
- 4 Slices Pepperjack cheese
- 4 burger buns of choice toasted
Prepare the caramelized onions and jalapenos:
- Add 3 to 4 tablespoons of olive oil to a large non-stick skillet, along with the sliced onions. Heat over medium-high and saute, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to sweat and begin turning translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and continue sauteeing, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown, about 15 minutes.
- Add the sliced jalapenos, and reduce the heat to medium-low. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until onions are deeply browned and caramelized, about 25 to 30 minutes. Note: If onions begin to stick to the pan at any point, you can de-glaze with a few tablespoons of water (or beer or wine).
Make the Burgers:
- While the onions are caramelizing, add all of the ingredients for the burger meat to a mixing bowl and use your hands to mix everything well (this will take a couple minutes of meat kneading). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to grill.
- Preheat grill to medium-high and form 3 or 4 burger patties out of the meat.
- Place patties on the hot grill and cover. Cook until grill marks appear, about 3 minutes. Flip burgers and cook to desired done-ness, about another 3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat of the grill and add cheese slices to the burger patties. Cover the grill and let burgers sit until cheese has melted, about 1 minute.
- Remove burgers from grill.
- Toast burger buns, then form an excellent burger by topping a grilled burger patty with desired amount of caramelized onions and jalapenos.