For those of you who are aware of my puppy love for peanut butter, this Peanut Butter and Jelly Pancake post probably doesn’t come as a shocker. Peanut butter and jelly mixed right in to your pancake batter. Haazaaaaaaah! Topped with…more peanut butter and jelly! All peanut butter and jelly sandwiches should be made out of pancakes.
Peanut butter and I have a grade school relationship. We hold hands on the swing set when no one’s looking but in public view, we avoid eye contact. I pretend I don’t care and play it cool while PB gives me the run-around –putting on a chase one day and the next day finding some other pig-tailed red head to be the object of its affection. That’s so typical PB. It’s coy. And devastating. Whyyyy, peanut butter, whyyyyyyy?
Enough of that.
This, my friends, is Week 8 of the Pancake Project. I have to confess, I was going to make this week my last week of the project. I even wrote an entire pancake farewell post and then tucked it away for later because I simply have more pancakes to give. To you. Let’s not sugar coat this, I’ve got more pancakes to eat, mmmkay? Mmkay. Each week brings new flavors and fun but this week’s recipe is by far my favorite. On account of the peanut butter. And the jelly.
Pancakes and I seem to renew our vows every week. The haps with this batter dog, other than peanut butter and jelly being all mixed up in its grill, is half almond meal and half brown rice flour. WINNER! The texture, consistency, the love…the touch the feel of pancakes, the fabric of our lives. No really, almond meal and brown rice flour mixed together is a splendid gluten free merriment.
[Note: this giveaway has ended]
Sir Bob and his Red Mill have a gifty gift for one lucky reader. Have you tried using brown rice flour? Did you know brown rice flour makes an obnoxiously wonderful pancake? For a chance to win a bag of Bob’s Red Mill Brown Rice Flour, just leave a comment on this post. The winner will be randomly selected and notified through email Wednesday, March 6, 2013.
It takes two to make a thing go riiiiiight!
Let’s play the ol’ stack and cram. Okaaaay, twist my arm.
Peanut Butter & Jelly Pancakes
- 1 egg
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted unsweetened peanut butter + more for serving (I used chunky)
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill Almond Meal
- ½ cup Bob’s Red Mill Brown Rice Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoons to 2 your favorite jelly + more for serving
- In a small saucepan, add the milk and peanut butter. Heat over medium and stir just until the peanut butter is somewhat combined and is no longer a big hunk. This should take but a few seconds. Allow this mixture to cool slightly.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the egg and the milk/peanut butter mixture.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the almond meal, brown rice flour and baking powder.
- Pour the flour mixture into the wet mixture and stir until combined.
- Add the jelly and mix into the batter.
- In a large skillet, add just enough oil to coat the bottom and heat to medium.
- Once the skillet is all the way hot, measure a scant ¼ cup of batter and pour it carefully into the pan.
- The batter will spread and sizzle around the edges. This is normal. Allow pancake to cook until little air bubbles rise to the top and the sides firm up.
- Flip to the other side and continue cooking another minute or so, until pancake is cooked all the way through.
- Repeat with remaining batter (I make 2 pancakes at a time on a 12” skillet)