Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies made dairy-free and refined sugar-free with coconut oil and coconut sugar. A healthier gluten-free chocolate chip cookie recipe!
Lookit these lumps.
I’ve been on the prowl for THE perfect gluten-free almond flour chocolate chip cookie recipe for many moons, and I daresay, I have found it!
In my opinion, there’s absolutely nothing that compares to a fresh-out-of-the-oven chocolate chip cookie.
Thanks to Nicole Morrissey from Prevention RD and her newly released cookbook, Prevention RD’s Cooking and Baking with Almond Flour, I am back on the cookie-dough-for-dinner freight train.
Just get a load of the cookie details: These cookies are made with almond flour and coconut oil – no gluten, no butter.
While the original recipe calls for brown sugar, I replaced it with coconut sugar and the cookies still turned out great.
Basically this means we have a dairy-free, gluten-free, naturally sweetened, healthier chocolate chip cookie recipe with a nice little omega kick.
Which by my calculations can only mean one thing: feast.
It’s time to eat the doughs for dinner.
Just kidding. 😉
Be sure to check out Nicole’s cookbook and in the meantime, make this recipe in triplicate.
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar*
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted and slightly cooled
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the almond flour, flaxseed, salt, and coconut sugar (the dry ingredients) and stir.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, vanilla extract, and coconut oil (the wet ingredients).
- Pour the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry and stir well.
- Add the chocolate chips and stir to combine.
- Scoop the dough onto a baking sheet and form cookies with your hands - these cookies aren't like regular ones where they spread out - they keep their form going in the oven.
- Bake for 7 to 9 minutes, or until cookies feel firm when poked and have browned around the edges (see note below).
I bake live at high elevation, so it took my cookies 12 minutes to bake. If you live at lower elevation, 7 to 9 minutes in the oven should work just fine.
*Replace the coconut sugar with regular brown sugar if you'd like.
Nutrition InformationYield 12 Serving Size 1 of 12
Amount Per Serving Calories 163Total Fat 13gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 10gFiber 2gSugar 7gProtein 4g