Charred Summer Vegetables are all the things for your face.
Indecision. It makes us want everything. It makes us buy four pairs of cowboy boots because ish, we only live once and money’s only a fallacy (until it’s not).
It makes us wish we had a second set of arms so that we can nurse our wine, beer, coffee, and kombucha all at the same time.
It makes us spontaneously decide before walking out the door that the 7 different clothing patterns we’re wearing really do match and by no means do we look like angsty 8th graders who are endeavoring to be walking demonstrations of what’s wrong with our consumerist culture.
Indecision. Making tweens out of good people.
Lucky for us, there is such thing as food and skillets. We can live out our indecisive desire for a mish mash, hodgepodge, color and flavor lollapalooza in the most adult-like of ways. We can be grown up instead of living out our indecision in the nearest self-serve frozen yogurt shop/Boot Barn.
A little this, a little that, a little variety for our for our face.
Indecision. Sometimes it pans out.
Recently, I’ve wanted to make a hodgepodge of fresh summer vegetables that I could add to any and all things. So I found this recipe for Charred Summer Vegetables on Cooking Light.com and it was exactly what I was looking for.
I scaled down the amount of vegetables, added a couple of tricks, and ended up with a huge amount of tasty summer veg. I then added the veggies to everything I ate. I made a frittata with them, used them as salsa, made a legit burrito out of them, and spoon fed them to myself between meals.
You may have noticed I cook a lot in a cast iron skillet. I simply love the crispy char it gives meat and the speed at which it cooks vegetables. Lodge recently sent me a 10-inch seasoned steel skillet, which I fell hopelessly in love with. It’s made out of 12-guage carbon steel and is pre-seasoned with soy oil. PRE-SEASONED? Glorious day!
Are you just crushing on this handsome skillet? You get to try out one out, too! Lodge is generously giving away one 10-inch seasoned steel skillet to one lucky reader. Simply enter the giveaway below using rafflecopter, and you’re in the running.
The giveaway ends Tuesday, August 26 at 12:00am and the winner will be notified by me through email. The winner will have 24 hours to respond before a new winner is chosen.
Good luck and may all the seasoned steel be with you.
Charred Summer Vegetables + GiveawayPrint
- 2 tablespoons grapeseed or olive oil
- 2 large shallots finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups green beans trimmed and chopped
- 2 ears corn kernels removed
- 1 zucchini squash chopped
- 1 yellow squash chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
- In a 10-inch cast iron skillet, heat the oil to medium and add the chopped shallots and bell pepper. Sauté 2 to 3 minutes until very fragrant, then add the green beans and corn kernels. Continue sautéing until shallots and bell pepper are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, yellow squash, ground cumin, dried basil, and salt and stir well to incorporate. Cover, and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until vegetables have reached desired level of doneness.
- Remove skillet from heat, stir in the lemon juice and parsley and serve.