Avocado Pesto Tuna Salad with Sun-Dried Tomatoes comes together in a FLASH and is loaded with flavor and nutrients! Enjoy it as is or on top of a green salad for a light yet satiating meal.
Truth: I have always, always been a tuna salad sandwich kind of gal. When my mom made school lunches for my siblings and I, I was always beyond excited each time I discovered she packed a tuna sandwich.
In fact – and buckle up, because I know this will be a shocker – when faced with the decision to enjoy a classic PB&J or tuna salad sandwich, I’d always select the latter. And this is coming from a girl who has loathed mayonnaise since birth. Tuna salad continues to be the ONE THING including mayo that I would happily, wholeheartedly consume.
Which brings me to my next point: mayo. Still not a mega fan. Whenever possible, I substitute mayonnaise for something else, such as avocado, plain yogurt, or hummus. The sub-out sub-in always results in a fresher, healthier and – in my opinion – just as tasty result.
Instead of using mayonnaise for this tuna salad recipe, I used avocado. Avocado pesto to be exact!
Have you ever made avocado pesto?
The idea behind it is simple: use avocado in place of olive oil for a wicked creamy pesto sauce. In order to make the pesto, all you do is add avocado, basil (or parsley or herb of choice), pine nuts, lemon juice, and garlic to a food processor and process until it reaches your preferred consistency. You can also add parmesan cheese, but I find I like the pesto better without.
Mix said avocado pesto in with your drained canned tuna, throw in a couple of other savagely flavorful ingredients, such as sun-dried tomatoes and red onion, and BOOM!: lunch of my dreams.
For serving, I ate the avocado pesto tuna salad in three ways: as is with a fork, as a sandwich between pieces of toasted gluten-free bread, and atop a green salad with feta cheese, dried cranberries, pistachios, and balsamic vinaigrette. You can also serve this tuna salad up as a wrap with veggies and greens, or as a pita.
To make the experience easy peasy, you can print out a coupon to use against your purchase of Genova tuna. Simply click HERE to get your coupon!
And that’s it! All you need is a few ingredients and less than 30 minutes of time to prepare this super scrumptious tuna salad recipe.
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- ½ cup basil or parsley leaves
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove large garlic, minced
- sea salt
- Avocado Pesto, recipe above
- 2 (5-ounce) cans Genova Yellowfin Tuna, drained
- ¼ cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes, drained and patted dry
- Add all of the ingredients for the avocado pesto to a food processor. Pulse until completely smooth. Taste for flavor and add more salt to taste.
- Add the tuna, red onion, and sun-dried tomatoes to a mixing bowl. Mix in the avocado pesto and stir until well-combined.
- Spread tuna salad on toasted bread to make a sandwich or add to your favorite green salad.
Nutrition InformationServing Size 1 grams
Amount Per Serving Unsaturated Fat 0g