You guys, this is CRAZY!
Think: fried rice, but made entirely of vegetables. Also think: explosion of color and tropical flavors with a creamy sauce to bring it all together.
Out of a need for more creativity in the kitchen, a craving for something tropical, and the new-found desire to revolutionize the food world with all the vegetable rices, a very strange, yet strangely wonderful dish was born.
Spoiler alert: it’s this tropical rainbow rice.
Basically, this the same idea as cauliflower rice, except it incorporates red cabbage, golden beets, and carrots.
The result is a grain-free, healthful vegetable “rice” that can be adapted to your liking.
Just like cauliflower rice, you can prepare the recipe by either pulsing the vegetables in a food processor or grating them using a box grater.
I used my 8-cup food processor, and grated up the veggies in 3 separate batches.
Fair warning: this is not a for-everyone type of recipe.
Like, if you’re not keen on red cabbage, golden beets, pineapple, and/or tahini, this is probably not a good fit for you; HOWEVER, there is ample room for adaptation…just have a ponder:
- Replace any of the veggies with red beets, parsnips, turnip, or sweet potato.
- Use ground cumin, Jamaican jerk spice, and/or Cajun seasoning to replace some of the curry powder (just be sure you use a salt-free spice blend so that you have more control over the level of salt).
- Replace green onion with red onion or leek.
- Substitute orange juice for the pineapple juice.
- Replace pineapple with mango or berries (or omit the fruit altogether).
- Almond butter or peanut butter instead of tahini.
- Add a little miso paste for kicks.
- Sriracha for spice!
I’ve gotta tell ya, I used this rainbow rice in scrambled eggs and it was glorious.
TAHINI? PINEAPPLE? IN YOUR SCRAMBLED EGGS, JULIA? <- you’re asking me this, I can just tell.
Yay, my friends. Yay.
Something about it just jumped and jived with my morning scramble.
Betcha could even add this rice to a frittata, similar to that Sweet Potato, Parsnip, and Broccoli Frittata I showed you a while back.
Taste the rainbow.
Tropical Rainbow Vegetable “Rice” with Pineapple Coconut Tahini
Tropical Rainbow “Rice:”
- ½ medium head red cabbage chopped into quarters
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 medium golden beet peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch green onion chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado peeled and diced
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks optional
- Add the chopped red cabbage to a food processor and pulse until rice-sized pieces form. Transfer to a large wok or skillet. Repeat this step for the carrots and beet.
- Add all of the ingredients for the Pineapple Coconut Tahini Sauce to a small blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the vegetables, stir well, heat to medium-high and cover with a lid. Once the “rice” is sizzling, reduce the heat to medium, and continue cooking, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until vegetables are soft.
- Add the green onion, avocado and pineapple to the vegetable "rice" and continue cooking until everything is hot, another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Serve alongside your favorite entrée and enjoy!