You guys, this is CRAAAAAZY (<- said like Jennifer Lawrence during the diner scene in Silver Lining’s Playbook) (<- okay, maybe not that intense), but bear with me.
I’ve been thinking a lot about vegetables lately. Surprised?
Out of a need for more creativity in the kitchen, a craving for something tropical, and the new-found desire to revolutionize the food world with all the vegetable rices, a very strange, yet strangely wonderful dish was born.
Spoiler alert: it’s this tropical rainbow rice.
Basically, this the same idea as cauliflower rice, except it incorporates red cabbage, golden beets, and carrots. The result is a grain-free, healthful vegetable “rice” that can be adapted to your liking. Just like cauliflower rice, you can prepare the recipe by either pulsing the vegetables in a food processor or grating them using a box grater. I used my 8-cup food processor, and grated up the veggies in 3 separate batches.
Fair warning: this is not a for-everyone type of recipe. Like, if you’re not keen on red cabbage, golden beets, pineapple, and/or tahini, this is probably not a good fit for you; HOWEVES, there is ample room for adaptation…just have a ponder:
Ideas for recipe change-ups/substitutions:
- Replace any of the veggies with red beets, parsnips, turnip, or sweet potato
- Replace green onion with red onion or leek
- Replace pineapple with mango or berries (or omit the fruit altogether)
- Substitute orange juice for the pineapple juice
- Use ground cumin, Jamaican jerk spice, and/or Cajun seasoning to replace some of the curry powder (just be sure you use a salt-free spice blend so that you have more control over the level of salt).
- Almond butter or peanut butter instead of tahini
- Add a little miso paste for kicks
- Sriracha, you’uns!
I’ve gotta tell ya, I used this rainbow rice in scrambled eggs and it was glooooorious. TAHINI? PINEAPPLE? IN YOUR SCRAMBLED EGGS, JULIA? <- you’re asking me this, I can just tell.
Yay, my friends. Yay.
Something about it just jumped and jived with my morning scramble. Betcha could even add this rice to a frittata, similar to that Sweet Potato, Parsnip, and Broccoli Frittata I showed you a while back.
Taste the rainbow.
Tropical Rainbow Vegetable “Rice” with Pineapple Coconut Tahini
Tropical Rainbow “Rice:”
- ½ medium head red cabbage chopped into quarters
- 2 large carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 medium golden beet peeled and chopped
- 1 bunch green onion chopped
- 1 large ripe avocado peeled and diced
- 1 cup fresh pineapple chunks optional
Add the chopped red cabbage to a food processor and pulse until rice-sized pieces form. Transfer to a large wok or skillet. Repeat this step for the carrots and beet.
Add all of the ingredients for the Pineapple Coconut Tahini Sauce to a small blender and blend until smooth.
Pour the sauce over the vegetables, stir well, heat to medium-high and cover with a lid. Once the “rice” is sizzling, reduce the heat to medium, and continue cooking, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until vegetables are soft.
Add the green onion, avocado and pineapple to the vegetable "rice" and continue cooking until everything is hot, another 2 to 3 minutes.
Serve alongside your favorite entrée and enjoy!
If the vegetables begin to stick to the skillet during any part of the cooking process, add a small amount of coconut milk. On the other hand, if there is liquid left in the skillet once the rice has finished cooking, increase heat to high and cook uncovered until the liquid evaporates.