Ground Turkey Bowls with Mushrooms, Zucchini, Spinach and Cabbage Rice is a clean, low-carb dinner recipe. Keto, paleo, whole30 and palate pleasing.
Oh hey, bowl food lovers!
Remember that cookbook I published last year called, Paleo Power Bowls?? I haven’t posted a bowl food recipe in months!
It’s the return of the bowl of food! Did you miss it?? I still eat every meal out of a bowl, so truthfully, the relationship has held strong.
In this addition of Big Bowl o’ Clean Unadulterated Bliss, we have a super quick and easy recipe. It’s a two-step process.
We simply cook ground turkey, mushrooms, zucchini, spinach, and onions together in a skillet. In a separate skillet, we cook up cabbage rice as a grain-free faux rice situation.
We then combine forces to generate a low-carb, paleo, whole30 straight-up dope dinner situation.
Speaking of cabbage rice…
What is Cabbage Rice?:
Have you made it?
The concept is the same…we “rice” up a cabbage and saute it in a skillet until much of the moisture has cooked off and the cabbage becomes dry and caramelized and has a similar consistency to actual rice.
If you follow a Low-FOMDAP diet, skip the cabbage rice and aim for carrot rice, zucchini rice, regular rice or roasted vegetables.
- Make recipe Low-FODMAP by omitting the onion and garlic and adding 2 to 3 tablespoons coconut aminos. Serve ground turkey with regular rice, zucchini rice, roasted vegetables, and/or side dish of choice instead of cabbage rice.
- Cut two butternut squash in half length-wise and roast them for 50 to 60 minutes at 400 degrees F to turn this into a stuffed butternut squash dish!
- Add your favorite vegetables, such as broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kale, sweet potato, etc.
- Replace the ground turkey with ground beef, pork, chicken, or sausage.
More Healthy Bowl Recipes:
- Teriyaki Salmon Bowls
- Ground Turkey Egg Roll Bowls
- Burger Bowls with Chipotle Sauce
- Crispy Paprika Salmon Bowls with Ginger Vegetables and Rice
- Gut Healthy Probiotic Power Bowls
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this recipe, please feel free to share a photo and tag @TheRoastedRoot on Instagram!
For the Turkey:
- 2 Tbsp avocado oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 apple, peeled and cored
- 5 cloves garlic , minced
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 zucchini squash, chopped
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp sea salt, to taste
- 4 cups baby spinach
For the Cabbage Rice:
Prepare the Turkey:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high and add the onion and apple. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to turn translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking another 3 minutes.
- Move the vegetables to one side of the skillet and add the ground turkey in the open space. Allow it to brown 1-2 minutes on one side, then flip and brown for 1-2 minutes on the other side. Stir the ground turkey in with the vegetables.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to incorporate. Cover and cook 5 minutes, or until the turkey is cooked through and the zucchini has softened. Taste mixture for flavor and add sea salt to taste. Serve with cabbage rice (instructions below).
Prepare the Cabbage Rice:
- Chop the cabbage into quarters (or smaller if the head is very large) and place in a food processor. Pulse until rice-sized shapes form.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high. Add the cabbage rice and cover. Cook, stirring frequently, until cabbage has begun to soften and turn golden-brown, about 8 minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1 of 3
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 376Total Fat: 21gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCarbohydrates: 15gNet Carbohydrates: 11gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 34g