Chocolate chip walnut banana cake made grain-free, naturally sweetened, and paleo. This moist and fluffy cake is quite the crowd pleaser!
After posting my Grain-Free Banana Cake with Vegan Cashew Frosting, I couldn’t stop thinking about renditions upon the concept.
I whipped up this chocolate chip walnut version and plunked it down in front of a couple handfuls of friends, who descended upon the cake like a pack of vultures. The consensus? Bangarang!
More specifically, the reviews were that the cake is perfectly sweet, moist and fluffy and you’d never know it’s grain-free and refined sugar-free. Essentially, it checks all the boxes for a delicious dessert (or breakfast or snack!) while remaining deceptively healthful.
In point of fact, this cake was consumed by and large as a snack rather than dessert. It’s just so easy to take a forkful or several as you walk on by to tide you over between meals.
MAJOR BONUS! This cake is so fun and easy to make!
How to Make Chocolate Chip Walnut Banana Cake:
Mash up the bananas in a mixing bowl until smooth, then whisk in the other wet ingredients. In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients. Add the dry to the wet and stir well. Pour the cake batter into an oiled 9-inch round or 13” x 9” cake pan and bake! Serve with hot coffee, tea, milk (no one’s judging) and enjoy!
- Use hazelnut flour instead of almond flour
- Swap the chocolate chips for your favorite dark chocolate bar
- Substitute pecans for the walnuts
Cake for breakfast for life!
My cookbook, Paleo Power Bowls, is now available! CLICK HERE to check it out. Thank you for your support!
If you make this Paleo Banana Cake, please feel free to share a photo and tag @TheRoastedRoot on Instagram!
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly oil or spray a 13" x 9" baking pan (or 10-inch round cake pan).
- Mash up the bananas in a mixing bowl until smooth. Whisk in the eggs, pure maple syrup, and vanilla extract.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients (including the chocolate chips and walnuts). Add the dry mixture to the wet and stir well.
- Transfer the cake batter to the prepared cake pan. Bake on the center rack of the oven 55 to 65 minutes, until golden-brown around the edges. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
- Allow cake to cool at least 30 minutes before cutting and serving.
Nutrition InformationYield 16 Serving Size 1 of 16
Amount Per Serving Calories 366Total Fat 20gUnsaturated Fat 0gCarbohydrates 38gNet Carbohydrates 32gFiber 6gSugar 21gProtein 11g