Let’s play a little game called Let Protein Be Thy Excuse, mmkay?
…wherein protein is our catchall reason for anything and everything indulgent that we take upon ourselves to consume. Like..
- 1.23 pounds of self-serve fro yo
- A 5.6-pound carne asada wet burrito
- The entire freaking jar of peanut butter
- That can of refried beans (with a dabble of rice to complete all essential amino acids)
- A whole batch of pancakes on a Saturday morning.
…Which is how we arrive at the conclusion that we can make the fattiest, most protein-punched out stack of flapjacks that ever did greet this green earth and call it in the name of health. And these fluffed-out hunks of almond buttery bliss truly are healthful. We’re looking at a grain-free, low-carb, high-fat, protein-rich, refined sugar-free, paleo-friendly, perfect-excuse-to-indulge-in-almond butter pancakes.
We take a trifecta of protein – almond meal (or hazelnut meal!), eggs, and almond butter and blend them in a blender along with the rest of the ingredients. Badda bing, badda boom: pancake batterooski for your lazy weekend brekkie.
And we serve with fig preserves. Because we’re total bosses like that.
Modifications? Les do ‘em:
- You can use hazelnut flour instead of almond flour
- Substitute cow’s milk or coconut milk for almond milk
- Incorporate peanut butter or cashew butter instead of almond butter
- Serve with pure maple syrup, jam, jelly, fresh fruit, a slice of bacon, you just let your hair down, smalls.
- Make pancake PB&J sammies and put them in your kid’s lunch box. Or your lunch box. Take these hiking/biking/skiing/kayaking/spelunking.
I used the following kitchen tools to prepare this recipe: